Dancing In The Dark With The Stars All Around

Friday, October 20, 2006

The Samaritans

I'm writing this because of something I've read on one of the boards I read. I read a few. Someone had a family member try to commit suicide.

Generally speaking, suicide is a reaction to a moment in time. Apparently young men are the most at risk. Some people say that this is because they have used more drugs and drank more than women, others that in our culture men are made to think that it's weak to confide in other people and therefore the problem just goes round and round in their heads.

I tried to kill myself when I was young. I came from what was a very disfunctional family and at one point that seemed the only way out. It wasn't ofcourse ... time was the answer. But for that time when I was thinking about it I couldn't see that and couldn't see that life would change.

That it was just a moment in time.

I've known people who have tried to kill themselves, some have suceeded, some haven't. Those that are still here with us haven't regretted making it through. I'm sad about those who didn't because I know that the time that was hurting them so much would've passed.

Sometimes you do have to work to change the situation. I look back and realise that I should've left the family situation instead of staying around even on the edge of it all when I was older.

Though in my situation when I was younger time was the answer.


But ..........



The Samaritians are there for when people need someone to talk to because there are ofcourse times when people need someone to talk things out with. It doesn't help to have things going round and round in your head.

Their website

http://www.samaritans.org.uk/


And sometimes people need advice.